Chiropractic Treatment Can Help With Sciatica in Appleton
- Sciatica in Appleton is pain affecting the back, hip, and outer side of the leg, caused by compression of a spinal nerve root in the lower back, often owing to degeneration of an intervertebral disk.
- This is the definition pulled off the internet. However, many people come in to be treated for "sciatica" like pain.
- From what I have seen in my years of treating patients, "sciatica" like pain is often caused by several issues.
Issues That Can Cause Sciatica in Appleton
- The first is true sciatica where a nerve root in the low back is being impinged by something (usually a bulging disc or bone spur). This usually causes pain, numbness, and/or tingling down one or both legs and usually runs down into the feet.
- The second is an impingement of the sacroiliac (SI) joint. This is the joint formed between your tailbone and hip bone. This will usually cause pain into the buttocks and down the back or side of the thigh. It usually doesn't go past the knee.
- The third is called Piriformis Syndrome. This is a small muscle deep in the buttocks that rests on top of the sciatic nerve. If this muscle gets irritated, it can push on the sciatic nerve causing sciatica like symptoms and usually the buttock on that side is very tender to a firm touch.
- The fourth is called Maigne's syndrome. This is not very common. Pain in this case usually is on the outer side of the hip and can radiate into the groin. The primary cause for this is a subluxation complex at the T12/L1 vertebral level.
Chiropractic treatment can help with sciatica like symptoms. Sometimes it is a process of elimination to figure out which problem you might have and the best ways to treat it.
Schedule your consult today to see if Chiropractic can help with your pain!